Zero Trust

View Only
  • 1.  AWS's Zero Trust remote access service, Verified Access, is now Generally Available.

Posted May 11, 2023 11:03:00 AM

(Note: this is a blog post I published on my website today, but thought that this audience would be interested in seeing it)

At the end of 2022, AWS announced a preview of a new remote access mechanism, AWS Verified Access. This service follows Zero Trust principles, and gives users secure and precise access to applications. I reviewed this preview service here, if you want a refresher.

AWS has now released this service as Generally Available – you can see their blog on this topic here. 

So, what's new and improved since the preview? 

AWS has expanded the set of integrated Trust Providers (Identity and Device validation partners), to now include Beyond Identity, CrowdStrike, CyberArk, Cisco Duo, Jamf, JumpCloud, Okta, and Ping Identity. 

However, they are still relying on a browser extension to obtain the device context – which I don't love. Getting this from the device management server would be better (granted, that request would need to come from a server-side component, but still, it'd be better).

More importantly, they are now making user context available to to the applications, pushing it in an HTTP header (see their docs here ) . This is really interesting, and in fact is the same design that Google took with their BeyondCorp implementation. There isn't (yet) a body of work or toolkit around how to use these claims inside of applications to make authorization decisions, but that will be something to look for in the future. 

It also appears that only the identity-provider claims are sent to the application, not device claims – that'll have to wait for an updated release.

Overall, it's great to see major players like AWS putting in the work, and releasing services that their customers can use to make Zero Trust real. 

Questions for the CSA group: Is anyone using this service yet? If so, what do you think? I'm interested in learning about how the pricing model has panned out in real-world usage. And, what about the identity context - is anyone looking at how to use this within their applications?

thanks
    jag

------------------------------
    Jason Garbis, CISSP
    Co-Chair, Zero Trust Working Group
    Principal, Numberline Security
    Author: Zero Trust Security: An Enterprise Guide

• 2.  RE: AWS's Zero Trust remote access service, Verified Access, is now Generally Available.

Posted May 12, 2023 12:06:00 AM
    Thanks for sharing Jason,
    Currently comparing the different products in this space.
    Kind regards

• 3.  RE: AWS's Zero Trust remote access service, Verified Access, is now Generally Available.

Posted May 12, 2023 08:59:00 AM

There is lots of negative feedback on Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/aws/comments/134wjmy/aws_launches_new_verified_access_service_to/ - regarding the pricing. It really depends on how you cut it; if you have lots of users for a single app, it seems cost-effective. If you have lots of apps and few users, it could be astronomically expensive. 

My personal peeve is how these solutions do not implement, what in my opinion, is table stakes for zero trust network access, using a software-defined perimeter - whether first-packet-authenticate, single-packet-authenticate or authorise/authenticate-before-connect. I tongue-in-cheek wrote a blog which compared these last year using comparisons to Harry Potter - https://netfoundry.io/demystifying-the-magic-of-zero-trust-with-my-daughter-and-opensource/

Philip Griffiths
    Head of Business Development
    NetFoundry

• 4.  RE: AWS's Zero Trust remote access service, Verified Access, is now Generally Available.

Posted May 12, 2023 09:49:00 AM

Interesting, Philip - I hadn't thought to look for discussions on Reddit. I did flag the pricing as a concern in my video on this in December. I wonder if AWS is listening - I can't imagine that real customers aren't giving them negative feedback about the pricing. 

Jason Garbis, CISSP
    Co-Chair, Zero Trust Working Group
    Principal, Numberline Security
    Author: Zero Trust Security: An Enterprise Guide

• 5.  RE: AWS's Zero Trust remote access service, Verified Access, is now Generally Available.

Posted May 13, 2023 12:15:00 AM
    Edited by Nya Murray May 13, 2023 12:15:39 AM

Hi Jason, I'd like to say this is an advance, but in all conscience I cannot.  It is just an overlay on existing identity security with a bit of MFA, does nothing to address client side security, where the vulnerabilities exist on the device.  Check out IBM ISAM which is an advance on Tivoli. They got there years ago, and have quite a complex verification process which is generally secure.  On the other hand, does not address the end user vulnerabilities.  OAuth weaknesses have not been addressed by anyone, and nor does the data leakage on devices/laptops/ PCs/sensors, which has been known about for a decade. 

Google is now going for ease of customer use to store everyone's data - I shudder to think how this is a global point of failure, because Google are still messing around with DeviceID and geolocation as their MFA - meaning because I travel a lot, they often mistake me for a nasty unsafe hacker :)  :)

So my response is ho hum, yawn, seen it all before, did not work the first time, why repeat the multi-step authn dance instead of addressing the insecurities in OAuth, TLS, device leaks, and the fact that they don't seem to have got daily key rotation working yet, instead the focus is on fancy fingerprinting and bio images that are no more secure than passwords if the device is compromised.  Which is where a lot of the credential theft is coming from. 

Best  Nya 

Nya Murray
    Director
    Trac-Car