The Inner Circle

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

ISO/IEC 22989:2022 Information technology - Artificial intelligence - Artificial intelligence concepts and terminology

• 1.  ISO/IEC 22989:2022 Information technology - Artificial intelligence - Artificial intelligence concepts and terminology

Posted Jul 29, 2022 11:55:00 AM
    Hi All,

This document establishes terminology for AI and describes concepts in the field of AI.
    This document can be used in the development of other standards and in support of communications among diverse, interested parties or stakeholders.
    This document is applicable to all types of organizations (e.g. commercial enterprises, government agencies, not-for-profit organizations).

You can preview this standard here: https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso-iec:22989:ed-1:v1:en

You can purchase this standard here: https://www.iso.org/standard/74296.html

------------------------------
    Michael Roza CPA, CISA, CIA, MBA, Exec MBA

• 2.  RE: ISO/IEC 22989:2022 Information technology - Artificial intelligence - Artificial intelligence concepts and terminology

Posted Aug 01, 2022 12:51:00 PM
    This standard is really strange -- and. IMO, quite poor. Here are two reasons for this disparaging comment:
    • it defines "image," "natural language," "stakeholder," "validation," "IoT device," etc. -- terms that certainly come up in AI work but are not at all AI-specific. And the definitions don't indicate any AI-specific meaning.
    • Even when focusing on section 3.1, "Terms related to AI," you find such gems as "application-specific integrated circuit" (ASIC)! Why on earth is this here? Yes, ASICs can be used to create fast AI engines, but then they should have GPUs and TCUs and what not. I get irresistibly reminded of the saying that "a camel is a horse designed by committee."
    The one thing that's good, I think, is that the definitions are short, and if there is more to say then it is contained in an entry note -- a good practice in glossaries and taxonomies.

I'm involved -- as co-chair, in fact --  in IEEE P3123, which covers AI terminology and data formats. In that project, we now need to decide how to position ourselves w.r.t. ISO/IEC 22989. If it had been great (good AI-specific terms with extensive definitions and pointers to useful references such as books and papers), then we would have asked ourselves whether the P3123 work is redundant and should be abandoned. However, my perusal of the ISO work tells me that the IEEE effort is likely to be much better; we just need to resolve any overlaps and identify any terms in the ISO work that we should "inherit" in the IEEE standard.

While this topic doesn't seem directly related to CSA's scope of work (unless I am mistaken), if any of you are interested in the IEEE work in progress and are potentially able to contribute, please let me know. We definitely need more contributors. If you're an IEEE member (or even if you aren't) you can sign in / sign up at:
    myProject
    to have access to the draft documents... or you can ask me.

Claude Baudoin
    cébé IT Knowledge Management
    Co-Chair, OMG Cloud Working Group
    https://www.omg.org/cloud