The Inner Circle

View Only
  • 1.  National Cybersecurity Strategy Released!

Posted Mar 02, 2023 11:54:00 AM

Hi All, the new phonebook is here! I mean the National Cybersecurity Strategy is here!  What is your favorite part? Least favorite? Other analysis?

Please read and comment below. No chatbot cheating.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/National-Cybersecurity-Strategy-2023.pdf

------------------------------
    Jim Reavis CCSK
    Cloud Security Alliance
    Bellingham WA

• 2.  RE: National Cybersecurity Strategy Released!

Posted Mar 05, 2023 07:11:00 AM

Sorry, Jim. Thought I responded the other day, but I do not see it.

For me, it is easy to list my favorites. Finally, we have a documented strategy (aka doctrine) that takes a whole of Government approach recognizing the necessity for strong private/ public partnerships, including the shift in responsibility. It fills the regulatory gaps (with teeth) and handles all risk treatments across the life cycle. I also like the formal statement that the US will collaborate with our allies to craft an asymmetric response to cyber incidents (offensive cyber, diplomatic, economic, and kinetic).

There is very little new in the strategy. Its value is in elevating existing fragments, pulling them into a focused strategy, and filling in the gaps.

The National Cyber Strategy, combined with the proposed rule changes from the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) scheduled for next month, are shaping up to be the most significant regulatory shift since Sarbanes-Oxley.

My least favorite is a fact of life. A big chunk of the implementation requires legislation. Fingers crossed.

By the way, love the movie reference.

Alex Sharpe
    Principal
    Sharpe42
    [email protected]
    Co-Chair Philosophy & Guiding Principles Working Group
    Co-Chair Organizational Strategy & Governance Working Group