The Inner Circle

View Only
  • 1.  NIST Blockchain for Access Control Systems: NIST IR 8403

Posted May 26, 2022 12:21:00 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi All,

NIST has published NIST Internal Report (NIST IR) 8403, Blockchain for Access Control Systems.

Protecting system resources against unauthorized access is the primary objective of an access control system. As information systems rapidly evolve, the need for advanced access control mechanisms that support decentralization, scalability, and trust – all major challenges for traditional mechanisms – has grown.

Blockchain technology offers high confidence and tamper resistance implemented in a distributed fashion without a central authority, which means that it can be a trustable alternative for enforcing access control policies. This document presents analyses of blockchain access control systems from the perspectives of properties, components, architectures, and model supports, as well as discussions on considerations for implementation.

------------------------------
    Michael Roza CPA, CISA, CIA, MBA, Exec MBA

• 2.  RE: NIST Blockchain for Access Control Systems: NIST IR 8403

Posted May 31, 2022 07:33:00 AM
    I looked at the document, and it talks about how to store authorisation information on a blockchain. But I can't think of any use case where this is something one would actually want to do this.

Is there any specific use case for this? As the owner of a resource to be controlled, I don't really see why you'd want to delegate your control to a blockchain that you have no control over.

Elias M
    Owner
    DHS Software Developments