The Inner Circle

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Organizations not confident they can protect sensitive data in the public cloud

• 1.  Organizations not confident they can protect sensitive data in the public cloud

Posted Aug 17, 2022 06:10:00 AM

89% of respondents to the Cloud Security Alliance’s latest survey know that cloud service provider security controls are effective. However, those respondents aren’t confident in their own ability to protect that sensitive data.

According to CSA’s Hillary Baron, companies often store sensitive data in the public cloud, but don’t know how to secure it. The answer? PEC techniques. Read more in this article from SC Media → https://csaurl.org/xzy2b8

#sensitivedata #cloud #riskmanagement

------------------------------
    Olivia Rempe

• 2.  RE: Organizations not confident they can protect sensitive data in the public cloud

Posted Aug 18, 2022 10:10:00 AM
    So I have a very specific bias here - full disclosure - as I have presented on Confidential Computing @ Kubecon and am overall an optimist (and have been quoted by some of the vendors/sponsors mentioned here). However, it is very very optimistic to say a meaningful % of orgs will deploy confidential computing or even more bleeding edge, homomorphic encryption, within 1 year.  I also question the findings of "currently using" since there are significant challenges to deploying today. Not impossible at all, but very challenging.  If the definition of "using" is some demo sandbox or a toy project, sure.  But even allowing for that, I question these stats.  More likely 19% of security pros who are likely to respond to a survey targeting ​​homomorphic encryption are using it.  

I am happy to host a breakout discussion for those truly interested in the challenges and future opportunities here - and for those of us doing actual real world production systems, the pains and pitfalls - but please take the marketing hype with a HUGE HEAP of salt.

Robert Ficcaglia
    CTO
    SunStone Secure, LLC