The Inner Circle

View Only
  • 1.  Politico Article, the Cloud as a Single Point of Failure

Posted Mar 13, 2023 12:41:00 PM

Not sure how many people saw this, so I thought it best to share. Politico published an article Friday about the Cloud as a single point of failure. I would be curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

You can see my comments in the thread.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alex-sharpe-3rd_biden-admins-cloud-security-problem-it-activity-7040759031992307714-PDEW?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

------------------------------
    Alex Sharpe
    Principal
    Sharpe42
    [email protected]
    Co-Chair Philosophy & Guiding Principles Working Group
    Co-Chair Organizational Strategy & Governance Working Group

• 2.  RE: Politico Article, the Cloud as a Single Point of Failure

Posted Mar 14, 2023 09:11:00 AM

Yep, no surprise there.  How many cloud providers do you think test or at least simulate a "perfect storm" regional failure at peak volume?  Hard to keep prices low and make a profit while maintaining 50% unused overhead for insurance against a catastrophic outage.
    Same thing is true with many on-prem DC's.  I recently saw a large fin service provider touting their "redundant" DC's in the same hurricane-prone region *sigh*

There are a lot of implementations out there which may not end well, some could result in a more spectacular catastrophe than others - especially if a disgruntled engineer incorporated a weak spot a la the Death Star in Star Wars.  

Shawn Clark
    Architect
    Wells Fargo