Zero Trust

View Only

Prevention is better than cure

• 1.  Prevention is better than cure

Posted Mar 02, 2023 03:39:00 AM
    Edited by Nya Murray Mar 02, 2023 03:45:22 AM

Why I maintain that ZT must start at the network front door is because the growing vulnerability is operational systems, e.g. manufacturing, followed by energy utilities as leading the number of attacks.  Why?  It is clear that national stability is a priority objective. 

However focusing on business data is a good thing.  Because the way that threat actors are initially accessing an organization's systems and data is still through phishing, as this interesting report from IBM shows:

So while I think that solely focusing on business applications  is a somewhat wasted effort, if the front door (identity access to the network) is not locked, defended, logged, and monitored with real-time detection and prevention, it is clear that business data is a key vulnerability.  So I highly recommend a dual effort of security architecture, design and development to identify and secure every network route, as well as  identifying and encrypting all access to classified business data. 

The major vulnerability context is that threat actors are getting in through business data insecurity, often emails, then once inside the network taking advantage of unsecured external and internal network endpoints, particularly remote access from workers and third parties. 

Nothing new then.  

As a senior cybersecurity architect, IMHO it is time to act on the requirement to secure  IOT as well as business applications - improve identity management over the public internet, ensure the network data plane is governed by the control plane from end-to-end, and data guard all business access to information that is in any way sensitive. 

Best Regards

------------------------------
    Nya Murray
    Director
    Trac-Car
    ------------------------------