The Inner Circle

View Only
  • 1.  SPACE is one step closer to being named the 17th Crtical Infrastructure council.

Posted Apr 22, 2023 12:11:00 PM

Recently the Solarium Commission endorsed Space as the 17th sector to be designated Critical Infrastructure. You can find more background in my Linkedin post below including links to the Space ISAC, an interview with the Chief of Space Operations (CSO), General Chad Saltzman, and links to the Solarium Commission.

Quite often, when we say "Critical Infrastructure" we think of things like water, electricity, and gas. About 10 years , PPD-21, established 16 sectors as whose "...incapacity or destruction of such systems and assets would have a debilitating impact on security, national economic security, national public health or safety, or any combination of those matters..." including things like financial services and commercial buildings. Having Space added to the list, is a recognition of the role played by Cyber and Space. The war in Ukraine is a prime example.

Personally, I would like to see, Social Media added as number 18.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alex-sharpe-3rd_cybersecurity-infrastructure-solarium-activity-7055515554370998272-RNsa?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

------------------------------
    Alex Sharpe
    Principal
    Sharpe42
    [email protected]
    Co-Chair Philosophy & Guiding Principles Working Group
    Co-Chair Organizational Strategy & Governance Working Group

• 2.  RE: SPACE is one step closer to being named the 17th Crtical Infrastructure council.

Posted Apr 24, 2023 10:46:00 AM

Thanks for the exceedingly timely post, Alex.  The IEEE Seattle Section has some members in SatCom (Satellite Communications, within the mothership's ComSoc - Communication Society).  Also, Marina Ruggieri is an IEEE Fellow, focused on many space-related issues.  She has some thought-provoking perspectives, and is readily accessible for informational briefings,  as well as interviews.  She can be reached using a quick search engine inquiry, if there are parties interested in delving more deeply into the IMPORTANCE of SatCom aspects.  

https://transmitter.ieee.org/tech-for-change-2022/q/why-is-cloud-computing-used-in-space-exploration/

Shamun Mahmud CCSKv3
    Membership Director
    CSA Seattle Chapter
    Bothell WA
    [email protected]

• 3.  RE: SPACE is one step closer to being named the 17th Crtical Infrastructure council.

Posted Apr 25, 2023 06:20:00 AM

That is so cool, Shamun. I will be sure to keep that in mind. It is only a matter of time before I take you up on that offer.

Have you considered having the SPACE ISAC or one of the commands speak at one of your events? They do a nice job. I would be willing to make an introduction if needed. 

It is so weird the way things circle back. I did a fair amount with satellites early in my career. Since then, satellites have been more of a pipe and an asset than anything else.

Cheers,

alex.

Alex Sharpe
    Principal
    Sharpe42
    [email protected]
    Co-Chair Philosophy & Guiding Principles Working Group
    Co-Chair Organizational Strategy & Governance Working Group